SAFe for Government - Beta
Scaling Lean-Agile and DevOps in Public Sector Organizations
Transitioning to Lean-Agile practices for building digital services is especially challenging in the government context. But issues of legacy governance, contracting, and organizational barriers can be overcome with the right information and strategies. During this two-day course, attendees will learn the principles and practices of the Scaled Agile Framework® (SAFe®), how to execute and release value through Agile Release Trains, and what it means to lead a Lean-Agile transformation of a program inside a government agency.
Attendees will gain an understanding of the Lean-Agile mindset and why it’s an essential foundation for transformation. They’ll also get practical advice on building high performing, multi-vendor Agile teams and programs, managing technology investments in Lean flow, acquiring solutions with Agile contracting, launching the program, planning, and delivering value using SAFe. Attendees will also learn how specific leadership behaviors can drive successful organizational change, even in government.
To perform the role of a SAFe® for Government leader, attendees should be able to:
- Transition government programs from traditional software and systems development models to Lean-Agile and DevOps mindset, principles, and practices using SAFe
- Adapt technology strategy, budgeting and forecasting, acquisition, compliance, and governance processes to flow-based practices using emerging government guidelines
- Organize government programs into one or more Agile Release Trains (ARTs) and execute in Program Increments (PIs)
- Explore Large Solution coordination in a government and multi-vendor environment
- Identify and internalize the mindset and leader behaviors essential to successful Lean-Agile transformation
- Follow success patterns for SAFe implementations adapted to the government context
- Build a preliminary outline of next steps to begin and/or accelerate the SAFe implementation in your program or agency
- Advancing Lean-Agile in government
- Embracing a Lean-Agile mindset
- Understanding SAFe principles
- Creating high-performing Agile teams and programs
- Planning with cadence and synchronization
- Delivering value in program increments
- Mapping the path to agency and program agility
- Leading successful change
- Taking action
What Attendees Get
The class registration includes:
- Attendee workbook
- One-year membership to the SAFe Community Platform
- Course certificate of completion
- One exam attempt upon General Availability of the course (re-takes at an additional fee)
Attendees must attend both days of the course in order to qualify for the exam.
Who Will Benefit?
This course is designed for government leaders and lead practitioners who are considering, planning, or advocating implementation of Lean-Agile and DevOps practices with SAFe in their agencies, programs or public sector organizations. Examples include:
- Executives, directors, branch chiefs
- Managers of development, engineering, QA, architecture, operations, support
- Program and project managers
- Program/Project Management Office (PMO)
All are welcome to attend the course, regardless of experience. However, meeting the following prerequisites will make the training more productive.
- A foundational understanding of the Agile Manifesto, SAFe House of Lean, and SAFe Principles is required using pre-work suggestions
- A foundational understanding the full lifecycle of government technology programs is helpful
- Registered attendees will receive a list of readings and videos specific to Agile in government that will be beneficial to review before the course
This course is still in beta, its exam is not yet available. Taking this course will make you eligible to take the exam when it becomes available.
Sample Test Now Available
Membership renewals are one year from the date certification is earned
- Renewal fee: $100
Recommended Class Size
Recommended minimum class size for this course is 12 students. Maximum class size is 42 students.