Becoming an SPC
Congratulations on completing your Implementing Scaled Agile Framework® (SAFe®) course—the first step on your path to earning your certification as a SAFe Program Consultant (SPC). With the demand for SAFe certified professionals continuing to grow at an accelerated rate—especially among Global 2000 enterprises—the value of an SPC certification is greater now than ever before.
Becoming an SPC helps maintain your competitive edge within the marketplace. As an SPC, you are able to:
- Lead your own SAFe classes upon validation
- Network with, and learn from, other SPCs in an exclusive Community of Practice
- Attend monthly webinars to advance your knowledge of SAFe and earn professional development units (PDUs)
- Access toolkits and resources that are essential for being an effective SAFe coach and transformation leader
If you’ve just completed your Implementing SAFe training, the following video will show you everything you need to know about accessing your exam.
Now that you are an SPC, it’s time to learn how to get the most out of the new resources available to you.
Take Advantage of the Community
The SAFe Community Platform is your go-to resource for growing your knowledge of SAFe, expanding your Personal Learning Network, managing your certification, and so much more. As a member of the community, we invite you to:
- Access essential training, certification, and coaching resources such as:
- The SPC Certification Kit
- Performance toolkits for assisting with successful SAFe transformations and implementations
- Enablement videos that walk you through how to successfully utilize performance toolkits and teach SAFe courses
- Enhance your skills through professional development videos
- Connect and engage with SAFe community members via exclusive Communities of Practice (CoPs)
What can an SPC certified on SAFe 4 teach?
An SPC in good standing certified on SAFe 4 can teach the following courses, if validated (see validation table below):
- Leading SAFe
- SAFe for Teams
- SAFe Scrum Master
- SAFe Advanced Scrum Master
- SAFe PO/PM
- SAFe RTE*
*Upon submitting a qualification package that meets the SPC RTE Trainer requirements, and only in a private setting and not as a public class.
What can an SPCT certified on SAFe 4 teach?
An SPCT in good standing and certified on SAFe 4 can teach the same courses as an SPC certified in SAFe 4, plus, if validated:
- SAFe RTE – Public and private classes
- Implementing SAFe
Recommended class sizes
|Course Title||Minimum Class Size||Maximum Class Size|
|SAFe for Teams||12||150 (all team members on an Agile Release Train)|
|SAFe Product Owner/Product Manager (POPM)||12||24|
|SAFe Scrum Master (SSM)||12||24|
|SAFe Advanced Scrum Master (SASM)||12||24|
|SAFe Release Train Engineer||12||24|
|Implementing SAFe||12 (two instructors required)||42 (two instructors required)|
The following table provides an overview of the role-based SAFe trainings you are able to teach as a Scaled Agile trainer, as well as any additional requirements that must be met to teach the course, as of June 24, 2017.
|Course Title||Course Delivery
|Attend Course||Exam Name||Pass Exam*||Additional Requirements|
|Leading SAFe||Required||Recommended||SAFe Agilist (SA)||✓|
|SAFe for Teams||Required||Recommended||SAFe Practitioner (SP)||✓|
|SAFe Product Owner/Product Manager||Required||Recommended||SAFe Product Owner/Product Manager (POPM)||✓|
|SAFe Scrum Master||Required||Recommended||SAFe Scrum Master (SSM)||✓|
|SAFe Advanced Scrum Master||Required||Recommended||SAFe Advanced Scrum Master (SASM)||✓|
|SAFe Release Train Engineer||Required||Required||SAFe Release Train Engineer (RTE)||✓||SPCs must submit a qualification package. Contact email@example.com for additional information.|
* There is no additional cost for the first exam attempt. If an exam retake is needed, a fee will apply. Please refer to the details on the below certification pages for exam retake policies.
Trainer validation exceptions
The following table outlines the scenarios in which you are automatically validated to teach a SAFe 4.5 course as an SPC or SPCT.
Even if you are automatically validated to teach a course, it is highly recommend that you complete the Course Delivery Enablement (CDE) for every course you plan to teach. We also recommend you complete the What’s New in SAFe 4.5 enablement available on the SAFe Community Platform.
|Course Title||SPC Validation Exception||SPCT Validation Exception|
|Leading SAFe||Certified on SAFe 4 prior to June 24, 2017||Certified on SAFe 4 prior to June 24, 2017|
|SAFe for Teams||Certified on SAFe 4 prior to June 24, 2017||Certified on SAFe 4 prior to June 24, 2017|
|SAFe Product Owner/Product Manager||Certified on SAFe 4 prior to June 24, 2017||Certified on SAFe 4 prior to June 24, 2017|
|SAFe Scrum Master||Validated as a trainer for SSM prior to September 19, 2017||Validated as a trainer for SSM prior to September 19, 2017|
|SAFe Advanced Scrum Master||Validated as a trainer for SASM prior to September 19, 2017||Validated as a trainer for SASM prior to September 19, 2017|
|Implementing SAFe (SPC)||Cannot teach||Certified on SAFe 4 prior to June 24, 2017|
Course Delivery Enablement (CDE) videos are available for each course. These videos are an excellent resource for familiarizing yourself with the course material and preparing to teach a successful class. For all courses, you are required to watch the CDE and pass the exam prior to teaching your first class.
For step-by-step instructions on accessing the CDEs, please refer to the Tour of the SAFe Community Platform video above.
License Courseware and Download Your Kits
Once you are ready to teach a class, you will need to purchase a courseware license for each student—whether they take the exam or not. Courseware licenses can be purchased directly within the SAFe Community Platform. For instructions on licensing courseware, please refer to the following video.
Ready to license courseware?
Access the Community Platform
Register Your Course
Using the CSV sample roster template downloaded from the SAFe Community Platform, fill out each of the columns following the instructions provided in the READ ME Document for every student in your class. It is crucial that the student names and emails entered into the roster are 100 percent correct!
When the roster is completed, upload it in the Course Admin section of the SAFe Community Platform. The system will automatically tie your class to the licenses you purchased. For instructions on uploading your roster, please refer to the above video.
Once your class has concluded, your students will be eligible to take the certification exam. The process your students will experience as they work toward certification is as follows:
- Once the course roster is uploaded, learning plans for each student will be assigned and a “Action Required: Complete Your Scaled Agile Community Profile” and “You’ve Been Assigned a Learning Plan” emails will be sent. These emails will provide instructions on accessing the SAFe Community Platform, providing course feedback, and taking the certification exam.
- The cost of the exam is included with the course fee, provided the student completes the exam within 30 days of course completion. After 30 days, the student must pay the retake fee to access the exam. The exam expiration date will be displayed on the student’s exam launch button in the Community Platform.
- If the student doesn’t take and pass the exam, the student may purchase a retake for a fee
- If the student doesn’t pass the first retake, the student can purchase a second retake after a 10-day waiting period. Third and subsequent retakes require a 30-day waiting period.
For more information on the exam details and requirements for each course, please follow these links: